What is LIHEAP?

  • LIHEAP (Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program) is a Federally-funded program that helps low-income households with their home energy bills. This can be electric and/or natural gas.
  • LIHEAP can help you stay warm in the winter. By doing so, you can reduce the risk of health and safety problems (such as illness, fire, or eviction.)

What Assistance does LIHEAP provide?

  • Heating Assistance (Applicants must only have a tribal member in the household and be income eligible.)
  • Crisis Assistance (Shut off or Final Notice exceeding base award.)

What is LIHWAP?

  • LIHWAP (Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program) is a Federally-funded program that helps low-income households with their clean water bill.
  • LIHWAP can help keep clean and safe water in the home.


Enrolled Siletz Tribal Member

The applicant, or a child residing in the household, must be an enrolled Siletz tribal member.

Residence Location

The residence must be located within the 11 county service-area.

Income Eligible

The applicant/family must meet the annual income guidelines as determined at the time of intake.

Program Keypoints

  • LIHEAP is divided into two categories: 1) Heating 2) Crisis.  The maximum award is $800 per household.
  • LIHWAP is a single payment program. Qualified households will have a one-time payment made on their behalf, directly to the water supplier in the amount of $500.
  • Not all households will qualify for the maximum LIHEAP amount. LIHEAP awards will depend on family size, income and need.
  • When returning an application, please be sure to have all necessary documentation beforehand, or be able to have required documents before appointment time.
  • Required documentation includes, but is not limited to:
    • Social Security Cards for ALL household members (no exceptions)
    • Tribal ID/ CIB
    • Most recent billing statement,
    • Current income documents – for each adult household member (e.g. Social Security award letter, Unemployment print out, paystubs etc.)
  • If you need documentation from other departments, please be sure to make those requests from those departments prior to your appointment.

Applications are available via email or US Postal upon request.

 If you have any additional questions, please don’t hesitate to call Casey Godwin in the Siletz Tribal Housing Department at 541-444-8311 or 541-270-0194.